Did You Know?
Here are the top 25 most shocking facts about teeth
- Most of us believe that bones are the hardest substance in the human body, but actually, it’s our tooth enamel! But don’t test it on bottle caps- it can be damaged by metal or glass.
- Over 300 different species of bacteria are found in plaque. Remember to use mouthwash to kill them!
- On average, a person spends only about 48 seconds per day brushing their teeth. But dentists recommend brushing for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Airborne particles from toilet flushing can actually make their way to your toothbrush bristles! Keep your toothbrushes in a drawer, or at least 6 feet from the toilet.
- A West Virginia prison inmate in 1994 braided dental floss into a rope to climb up a wall- and successfully escaped! Dentists suggest that using it will clean up to 35% of your teeth’s surfaces that get missed when brushing alone.
- Contrary to belief, do not place a cap on your toothbrush. It is actually causing bacteria to accumulate and fester within the moist environment.
- Did you know that 59% of people would rather have a dental appointment instead of sitting next to a person that’s talking on a cell phone? Three out of every four Individual have some form of periodontal gum disease- the leading cause of tooth loss for people older than 35. But the good news is that gum disease can be prevented and can be controlled.
- The first official toothbrush commercial was made in 1938
- In 1948 in China, the first toothbrush with bristles was made by using hair from horses, hogs, and badgers.
- Did you snail’s mouth is no larger than a pinhead- but it has more than 25,000 teeth.
- The Romans used impressive dental technology for their time. They fixed cavity-ridden teeth with gold crowns. They also made bridges to fix gaps from missing teeth. They even had a form of toothpaste- a mix of honey and crushed eggshells.
- In Medieval Germany, the only believed way to cure a toothache was to kiss a donkey!
- The most choked on object is a toothpick. So… Choose floss instead!
- The average woman smiles about 62 times per day, but the average man smiles only 8 times per day! Smile!
- 50% of people say that someone’s smile is the first physical trait they notice!
- Much like your fingerprints, we all have a unique set of teeth. Even a set of identical twins will always have different “dental fingerprints.”
- Sports-related injuries are the cause for around 5 million missing teeth every year! Wear a mouth guard to protect your champers!